Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bai, Singapore: Some thoughts on my time in the Lion City

Country number three flew by. It was wonderful, filled with food and family. The recurring themes...

Multicuturalism in everything, especially food: Singapore's mixing of cultures is nowhere more evident than it its food. The best of Indian, Chinese, and Malay cooking is thrown into the mix. Creativity and experimentation take over, and the result is some amazing and unique dishes. A great approach to cooking and, indeed, to life.

"Help me, I'm melting": Coming from Indonesia, I thought I was prepared for heat in the tropics. Boy, was I wrong. It was so hot, everyday. And, more than that, for this guy raised in Minnesota, it was so humid. I got a masochistic kick out of reading weather.com and learning that, though it was "only" 95 degrees outside, it felt like 110 because of the humidity. I would become a puddle of sweat instantly after any amount of time outdoors. My glasses would fog up and make me temporarily blind. That, and then you go inside, where it is maybe as warm as 65 degrees. The contrast is enough to make an immune system go haywire (and mine did). Definitively not the climate in which I thrive.

The joys of extended time with family: It was the first chance I've had to spend several weeks straight with my sister since, at least, 2004. And it was great! It becomes a different feel when it's not holiday season and the days turn into weeks. Plus, as I knew it would, it was so great to get so much time with my niece. Especially now, when she's up, about, and talking so much. Hopefully she had as much fun hanging out with me as I had with her!

Up next, China!

No comments:

Post a Comment