Monday, April 26, 2010

A hilarious and wet slog to some pretty good and pretty spicy chicken

I wake up on Wednesday determined to build on my good food experience from the night market. And I have a destination! A hot anonymous tip about some stunning, and stunningly cheap, nasi campur in the interior of Sanur. I am excited!

Just one problem: the skies have re-opened and the town is nearly literally flooding. Never fear: I have an umbrella! And a strong desire not to take advantage of the guys every 10 feet asking if I need transport. These legs will work just fine, thank you.

I veer off of the main drag into a set of alleys. Wow, this gets dicey fast, there are places where the road has become a lake. It's really coming down and no one else is out walking. I continue on. I make a wrong turn on one of the alleys, and have to double back. I find my way, and come to the bypass - this is like the Interstate of south Bali. With a median, two lanes each direction, and a lot of traffic, this does not look like it'd be fun to cross on a bright sunny day, let alone one that seems from the set of Little Mermaid, like this one. Nevertheless, I tarry forward.

At last, I can go no further. The sidewalk has become various ponds surrounded by gaping holes, and the bypass remains the bypass. Luckily, there is a warung (local restaurant) right here! And it's got a great name: Warung By-Pass Sanur. It's like the Highway 66 Cafe! I duck in a grab and empty table (not hard to do: they're all empty).


When the waiter comes over, I try to ask him, "What's your favorite?" With that not working, I switch to "What would you eat?" Finally, I resort to hand signals. He points out a couple of things on the menu, though I think he might be doing it just to get rid of me at this point. I settle on some chicken and some rice.


And it's pretty good! The chicken was weirdly cut, so there was a fair amount of trying to find the odd-shaped bones in each piece. But the marinade was delicious, and spicy. If you look close, you can see lots of red chilies just sort of dancing across the chicken. Yum!

So I didn't make it to the place with the hot tip. Perchance I'll get there on my way out of town, we'll see. But this backup did nicely, plenty of spice and it came with a roof!

No comments:

Post a Comment