Tuesday, April 27, 2010

When one door closes....

Some word from the mainland has reached me: The class at Harvard for the inaugural Doctor of Education Leadership program has checked in full. No room for me from the waitlist. Darn!

Well, with that door closed, the next one has opened. The question is, where does it lead...

Potential door #1: Become a teacher and start this fall, likely in math and likely in high school

Potential door #2: Find other useful work in the fast-moving field of education reform

Potential door #3: Pursue cooking school and then loop back to one of the doors prior

Or potential door #4: Something else entirely and / or some creative mix of the above

Your ideas are welcomed in comments!

5 comments:

  1. I vote: #3 to #1 to #2. Does #1 mean you'd be coming back to the Bay Area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bastards! and the admitted students are too--why didn't they just go do something else, like 1-4 above? because those all do sound so good. I say whatever feels the most *exciting,* because you're in that kind of a moment in your journey now after working at one place for 35 years....

    ReplyDelete
  3. diane - you may have hit on the winning combo. location tbd but I do love the Bay!

    annie - thanks! and I find the idea of me at Bridgespan when I was -5 really funny.

    colleen - nola, what a great place. but what would I go there? :)

    oh, and everyone, check out this old steve jobs commencement speech. not that I was planning on losing my way, but a good reminder of several things along these lines:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Become a teacher!!! It's what this family does and there's no closer job to the grass roots. Joojer reminds me (and you), though, that teaching is a lot harder than most realize. If you're down, of course, talk with my cousin Kristin in Portland, OR. She's an awesome HS Biology teacher!! She'd try to get you to teach in your college major, though.

    I love the blog!!
    Your vicarious friend, Ian

    ReplyDelete