Saturday, April 17, 2010

Q: What do you do if you're stuck in a tourist trap?

A: Go up.

The slightly longer version of the story is that I had decided to go to Miyajima, an island outside of Hiroshima, to visit a famous Shinto shrine. Upon arriving on the island, I saw tourist schlock as far as I could see. The "shopping street" was somebody's version of a bad joke: so many souvenir stores all selling the same junk, sprinkled with overpriced and low-quality food. Ugh.

I hightailed it for the mountain. There was a neat two-stage cable car system to take me most of the way to the top.



Once on top, there was a lovely blooming sakura tree. The sun had come out after a day and a half of being overcast and everything seemed to lighten. The walk down was fantastic, with assorted staircases, rock formations, and shrines popping up here and there. One temple included this neat looking wooden statue.


In addition to my up-and-down of the mountain, I did my duty as a tourist and snapped a couple of pics of the famous floating torii. Which one is your favorite?




Oh, and one more, a neat picture of a hallway in the shrine:

1 comment: