Monday, May 10, 2010

Assorted food of Indonesia

Second random roundup of meals, let's get to it!


In Tulamben I went back to basics and got the nasi goreng, a fried rice dish with a variety of sides and a fried egg on top. Not bad! And great for right after diving.



In Ubud there were several small restaurants, some warung and some slightly more upscale. One of these was Biah Biah, were there was a mini feast of many small dishes, including nasi campur (rice with a variety of sides), kang kung (stirfried water spinach), sate lilit, and a variety of mixed cold dishes, some with pork and some only vegetables. All yummy.


Another was Made's Warung, where I had some very nice chicken soup and followed that up with the pictured banana fritters. With fresh coconut and honey on top, these were the right sweet note to end the day on.

A quick meal (with no photo, alas) was had at Dewa's Warung, where I dined on cap cay late one night. I had earlier hated on the dish in an email to friends and I need to partially recant. This version was not bad, with a warming soup broth and plenty of vegetables. It still cannot hold a candle to the Korean homonym chop chae though...


At Bubu's Warung, I split a deconstructed gado gado with Nick, thoroughly mediocre and like a crudite plate gone Indonesian. Needed fresher vegetables or more going on with the peanut sauce in the middle. I also had some green beans with coconut which were not bad, though a bit monotonous.


Finally, much of my blogging took place from the Yellow Flower Cafe, where I had many fruit juices and milkshakes. I also had their take on an organic nasi campur, of which the standout was definitively the mixed coconut, soybean, carrot, and other lovely items at 9 o'clock in the picture above.

No comments:

Post a Comment