Monday, May 10, 2010

Transition to Singapore also abrupt!

On the one hand, it was the shortest inter-country flight of the trip (just 2 1/2 hours) and from one country in Southeast Asia to another. On the other hand, wow, what a change.

From the everywhere heat of Bali to the even-more-everywhere heat of Singapore, but now with air-con also everywhere, and set at chilly temps.

From the sidewalks with open holes into sewers in Bali to the infrastructure in Singapore that would put the US to shame (I have yet to see a pothole, with so much concrete and asphalt in so many places).

From walking all the time to taking buses and taxis to get around.

From knowing no one to spending lots of quality time with my sister Jenika, her husband Anshul, and my two year old niece Sahana. This is me and her on the bus ride from the airport.


From my rice field guest house to the Regents Four Seasons (just temporarily...), which also included a nice welcome gift of Chinese sweets and fresh tropical fruits, courtesy of Anshul who works at the hotel.


From a not food obsessed culture to one that defines food obsession and does so cheaply.

It is lots of change. I am very excited for the time to come in Singapore.

Postscript: One unwelcome change, I fell ill! A modest cold lingered, gathered strength, and put me at half-speed or worse for most of the first week. Ugh. Coming into the second week it seems to have dissipated and the agenda has filled up. Time for adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment