Sunday, August 1, 2010

Is this Paris or Prague?

Sufficiently full of Czech food for the time being, we were delighted to lunch in the backyard garden of Chez Marcel, a little French bistro.


I started with the onion soup, presumed to be French. It still only went halfway towards my ideal, with a too small crouton covered in the wrong kind of cheese. However, the onion broth itself was very nice. I have learned on this trip both that I really like French onion soup and that it is really hard to find authentic versions of it.


To go with my soup I had a poached egg and chorizo salad. This was very nice, as the yolk from the egg complimented the dressing and made the chorizo positively delicious. The poached egg had been underappreciated in my culinary life, but no longer.


Kevika went for the lamb sausage baguette, a totally decent and not-spectacular version. The sausage was a bit mis-sized for the baguette and the garnishes didn't hold up their end of the bargain. But not a bad dish.


Carolyn opted for the Croque Madame, a ham and cheese sandwich covered with a fired egg. Though there was no sauce, an unexpected turn, this mixed pretty well and each of the ingredients did their part. It also somewhat reminded me of the (in)famous Kentucky hot brown sandwich from my days in Frankfort.


And, to round it out, some pomme frites with mayo. Nicely sized steak fries and a homemade version of mayo made this one of the go to dishes of the meal.

Viva La France!

No comments:

Post a Comment