Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More doner, more currywurst, and a Berliner

Back to solo travel. While I lose some good friends, I keep the focus on good Berlin food. Over the next couple of days, there are Berlin classics all over the place.

Sunday brings another chance to have a Hasir doner kebab. I oblige my urging to do so and am quite sated. It is just as good as I remember. Plus, I don't have to share this one!


It turns out my new hotel has a corner currywurst stand not too far away. And this currywurst, while not life-changing, lives up to its billing as very cheap and very tasty food. Especially when partnered with a Berliner Kindl beer (something that may not get exported outside the city).


Best of all for this currywurst stand is the enormous hot dog sculpture. He looks awfully pleased to be covering himself in ketchup...


To these two staples I add a third, new to me. In the train station, just before heading out to Copenhagen, I snag a Berliner donut. Very similar to the traditional American jelly donut, this has a larger, more granulated sugar that adds a great crunch to eat bite. And the jam inside tastes like its made from fresh German berries. I can see why JFK called himself one of these now.

No comments:

Post a Comment