Sunday, August 22, 2010

Some Dutch apple pie to say goodbye

I couldn't believe it, but it was already time to say goodbye to Preeta and Patrik. Their plans were taking them to Sweden, while I would remain behind in Amsterdam. We did have one final brunch, at Villa Zeezicht right on the canals.


It was a lovely morning, and the sun was out.


I went for the swiss toast, brioche smothered in mushrooms that had been sautéed in butter. Lots of butter. This was excellent, a potential new find. I had not heard of swiss toast until this day. Now I will have to make it!


Patrik went for the uitsmijter, and it was a success. Just look at those beautiful eggs!


Preeta got a different concoction, a mix between a fried egg sandwich and bruschetta. Pretty good as well!


As always, we had to get a bowl of yogurt, muesli, and granola. This one turned out to be beautiful and tasty to boot.


But, truly, we had come here for the apple pie. It just seemed a bit crude to eat it without having anything else for breakfast. I got my version with cinnamon ice cream. Somehow, though this was a bit of a let down. The crust had too much bread and, saddest of all, the pie was served cold. It really would've benefited from some time in the oven.

We did leave with full bellies.


And then my good friends departed. After two-plus days of excellent adventuring, Amsterdam instantly became a little bit sadder.

No comments:

Post a Comment