Sunday, August 22, 2010

Late night Amsterdam cuisine

My last night in Amsterdam and it was getting late. Time to hit up some quick late night eats!


Maoz Vegetarian is a local chain with a slew of very brightly lit falafel restaurants.


Upon ordering a falafel, I was given free reign at the salad bar, able to fill my falafel with marinated carrots, cabbage salad, hummus, or any other of about 20 ingredients. I loaded up.


And the falafel was pretty good! The chickpea balls themselves were well-composed and well-fried, tasting very fresh and very warm. The yogurt sauce from the salad bar was to die for. I have a feeling that mastering the art of which condiments, where placed, and how much takes some time...


To chase my falafel, I went to the fry stand.


Vlaamse frites are really just a bunch of french fries in a cone-shaped piece of paper. The coup, though, is that there are 15+ sauces to choose from, of the ketchup, mayo, and mustard variety. I went for the garlic mayo and the curry ketchup, a pretty tasty combination.


Finally, there was Febo. I could not bring myself to eat what they were selling...


...because they were selling fried foods out of vending machines. That's right: fried foods, that come from a vending machine. Eeewww. No way could that taste good or provide any nutrients of value whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment