Thursday, July 22, 2010

Final lunch in Avanos

Our time in Cappadocia is sadly drawing to an end. This afternoon we will head off back to Istanbul. But before we do, we make a journey to Avanos, the pottery capital of the region. I unfortunately didn't manage to get any pictures of the pottery, but there were some cool items available. One neat one, spotted by my sister, was a wine flask that had an open circle in the middle. The story went that someone could carry this large amount of wine on their arm just by slipping it through the hole. If they wanted to carry a large amount of wine portably, that is.

We also had time for one more lunch. We were out of luck in that our desired destination had moved a kilometer or so away and there was not time to find it. So we settled for second best and went to a place right across the street.


I ordered this dish, supposedly yogurt with red peppers. However, try as I might, I could find no red peppers nor any other flavor besides the very thick yogurt. It wasn't bad, and served as an effective butter replacement on the bread, but was not what I was expecting. I would still love to try yogurt with red peppers.


My main was a kiyamli pide. This was quite good, even though it didn't rate best of the trip. Others' mains were disappointing however, especially the sucuk pide, which was nigh on disgusting. Best to stick to the minced meat in these situations.

So, it was a bit of a bummer that we couldn't make it to our original lunch spot. Instead, we had to make do with a much inferior product.

No comments:

Post a Comment