Monday, July 12, 2010

There's bones in my sandwich!

It is a quintessential Istanbul tourist tradition: getting fish sandwiches under the Galata Bridge. On our way back home from the Spice Market, we did our duty and sat down to gobble up.


It was different than I expected, somehow. The fish sandwich had a partial fillet (head removed and skin largely so) and was paired with lettuce, tomato, and onions. The fish itself had been quickly barbecued on a grill, but without much added sauce. At first, the sandwich was a little bland. Then we discovered the huge container of lemon juice on the table. That brought the flavors to life, and made for a much more interesting bite.

It didn't solve the bones problem, though. On some bites, one to several rather large and rather hard bones would come with the fish flesh. This proved challenging to eat. Some people were luckier than others; I was not one of them. However, after I did a thorough comb through of the fish to ferret out the choking hazards, I enjoyed it much more. And, all told, it was 3YTL so I can't be too picky. Also not picky was my sister Katy, who chomped into one with glee.

No comments:

Post a Comment