Thursday, July 8, 2010

A perfect postscript to a long walk and a great lunch...

...are Turkish sweets, especially baklava. Having reached the Bosphorus and about to dive into the Istanbul Modern, a little sugary pick-me-up was called for. Just south of the museum, I stumbled on a row of baklava eateries. I picked the one with drool-worthy sweets in the window. It was called Koskeroglu and it turned out to be a good call.


I selected two pieces each of differently shaped pistachio baklava. This baklava was of a entirely different league than any baklava I've ever had in the States. The pieces were neither dry nor soggy, just deliciously soaked in honey. The pistachio layer was thick and fresh, expertly ground to the right level of coarseness. The small square baklava, meant to be eaten in one bite, knocked my socks off. This would be a serious, serious addiction were I to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment