Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pierogies on Styrofoam

Lunch-time, time to start checking off some more of the Polish classics. This would be a pierogi-centered meal. I went to Bar Smaczny, in the Old Town. It is another cafeteria-style place.


I start with the salad sampler, which has dill and cucumber salad, broccoli in cream sauce, and sauerkraut with carrots. I am still surprised that the best was the broccoli, which I thought would be drenched in dairy and no good. I am also surprised that the cucumber salad was no good. But the broccoli was, it was excellent. The kraut was also more good than bad. I also had a apple and peach drink that was fairly good. If they would take some of the artificial junk out of it it would be even better.


For my main I went savory, with the pierogies with cabbage and mushroom. These were a sad let down. If this is Lonely Planet's favorite pierogi restaurant, then either this town can't make good pierogies or LP has bad taste. I wonder which one it is? These were mushy, overboiled. They were also bland inside, with the mushrooms having disappeared entirely. Bummer.

As a side note, I did not know you could get piergories with strawberries or blueberries inside. I will try to try those one of these days.

The search for good pierogies continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment