Saturday, July 24, 2010

The other local specialities, those of Galicia

For lunch during my day of exploring Jewish life in Krakow, I went to the Galicja Restauracja. It's specialty was food from the Galicia region, especially wild game.


After ordering, I was treated to my first Polish amuse bouche! Some kind of very finely chopped meatloaf with a side of pickled cranberry sauce. The meatloaf was not so hot, a bit too reminiscent of what dog food may taste like. The cranberry sauce was delightful though.


For soup, I had the bulion z pierozkami, or broth with venison ravioli. This was excellent, especially the venison ravioli. They were meaty, and a different kind of meat, too, without being funky. A small but hearty soup that took me from deliriously hungry to ready to eat.


I'm glad I wasn't too full, either, because I had chosen a very large main. Placki ziemniaczane z gulaszem z dzika, or potato pancakes with wild boar stew. I should have known from the name this would be a massive dish! It was also quite tasty. The pancakes were well fried and held up even against the stew. Meanwhile, the boar chunks were nice and tender and, like the venison, different but not funky. I left a happy customer, quite full of game.

No comments:

Post a Comment