Sunday, July 11, 2010

A sea so salty it hurts

It was almost time to leave, but we hadn't done it yet. We hadn't floated in the Dead Sea. We couldn't come this close and not "swim" the salty sea. We headed down, to the sea, to the lowest point on earth.


I waded into the sea. I started walking out. I kept walking. I kept walking. I kept walking. Then, I noticed that my feet weren't touching the ground. But I wasn't sinking. And I wasn't treading water either. I was just floating there. What a odd sensation!

It felt as though the water was trying to pull my legs out from under me and bring them to the surface. Floating on my back was as easy as, well, just lying there. I think it felt somewhat like what suspended gravity would feel like, though a bit saltier.


Oh, right, the salt. Man, this was less like salt water and more like watery salt. It was so thick that the whole thing was a hazy, cloudy green color. I made the mistake of flopping around a little bit, trying to swim. I got some water in my eye and in my nose and it burned. Worse still, I couldn't rub it out because my hands were covered in salt. No option but to make like a bee for the freshwater showers (as best I could with my eyes closed...).

But still, what a sensation!

No comments:

Post a Comment